Coco Ho is a Hawaiian surfer who grew up surfing the North Shore—and she’s also one of the top up-and-coming competitors in women’s surfing.
The daughter of renowned surfing champion Michael Ho and the niece of Derek Ho, Coco was raised among surfing royalty—and both she and her brother, Mason, have followed in their footsteps.
Recently, Coco won the ASP Dream Tour competition in Portugal. She’s currently competing for the ASP Women’s World title—and at nineteen years of age, she’ll be the youngest champion in surfing history, male or female, if she wins. In addition, she’d be the first female winner from Hawaii since 1981, when Margo Oberg won the title. She’d also be the first competitor, male or female, to snag both the ASP World Qualifying Series and the Dream Tour world titles in the same year.
At seventeen, Coco qualified for the Dream Tour—barely making it in as the last qualifier. But that hasn’t slowed her down, and her recent wins have been proof of that. And the prospect of a win isn’t a long shot—with a father and uncle who share six Vans Triple Crown wins, including four World Cup of Surfing and three Pipeline Masters titles between them, it’s easy to see that Coco has surfing in her blood.
Coco is only 5’2”—but she has a powerful and confident surfing style more dynamic than that of many male pro surfers. She’s also known for her progressiveness—she’s known for performing challenging aerials and inventing new tricks that have gained the attention of fans and the professional surfing community.
In addition to making an impression at surfing competitions, Coco has also had a debut in film. In 2002, at about eleven years old, she played the younger version of the main character, Anne Marie, played by Kate Bosworth.
Coco is lucky to be part of a high-profile surfing family—and she has the support of her family everywhere she goes. With that advantage as well as her natural, inborn skill in surfing, there’s no question she will go far!
Coco Ho Resources:
- Coco Ho on Twitter – http://twitter.com/coco_ho
- Coco Ho’s blog – http://cocoho.blogspot.com
- Coco Ho on Facebook
- ASP Surfing Profile Page
- Coco Ho Fan Page on MySpace
- Photos of Coco Ho on Flickr
- Coco Ho images on Google
- A day in the life of Coco Ho from Surfermag
- Coco Wins WQS / Rookie of the Year – Nike 6.0 on Vimeo
- Hurley USA 2010 – Coco Ho video profile
- Coco Surfing for Lost Tv
- The Coco Ho Song
- Laid back video interview with Coco Ho from Novusswell.com
Movies/ DVDs featuring Coco Ho
- Blue Crush (2002) as young Anne Marie
- Six Days in Paradise (2010) as Alicia McShane
- Heart of a Soul Surfer (2007) – Documentary story of Bethany Hamilton – Watch Trailer
- Dear Yonder – Daring stories of ladies united by the sea (Surf movie) – Watch Trailer